The ACADIA – Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture – Conference has announced the list of their keynote speakers for this year. The Conference will be held in Los Angeles, California at the USC School of Architecture on October . 23rd-35th . 2014. The conference also includes workshops and tours will be held on October . 20th-22nd & 26th . 2014.
ACADIA is an international network of digital design researchers and professionals. ACADIA supports critical investigations into the role of computation in architecture, planning, and building science, encouraging innovation in design creativity, sustainability, and education.
According to their website, The ACADIA 2014 – DESIGN AGENCY will bring together the spectrum of research and creative practice currently occurring within the ACADIA community through the combined support of the research networks of the University of Southern California, University of California Los Angeles and Southern California Institute of Architecture. Questions the capacity for computation to inform or challenge traditional design processes; computation as design operation – the capacity, condition, or state of acting or of exerting power, and/or computation as design instrumentality – the design mechanism through which power is exerted or an end is achieved.
The confirmed key note speakers so far are:
– The Pulitzer Prize Winner, Zaha Hadid Architects.
– The Video game designer and co-founder of Maxis, Will Right.
– The Remarkable Conceptual Artist, Casey Reas.
– The Architectural League Prize for Young Architects Winner, Marc Fornes.
– & The Tuesday 22nd Evening Event hosted The managing Director of Walter P Moore’s Structural Engineering, Greg Otto.
The Award Winners:
– 2014 ACADIA Digital Practice Award of Excellence : The architectural designer, artist and educator, Jenny Sabin.
– 2014 ACADIA Award of Teaching Excellence : The director of MIT’s Center for Bits and Atoms, Neil Gershenfeld.
– 2014 ACADIA Society Award of Excellence : Portland Program Director & Associate Professor in the Department of Architecture School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon, Nancy Yen-wen Chen.
– 2014 ACADIA Innovative Academic Program Award of Excellence : The Adjunct Assistant Professor of Architecture, Planning and Preservation at the Columbia Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, Scott R. Marble.
– 2014 ACADIA Innovative Research Award of Excellence : The co-director of the Doctor of Design Program and director of the GSD’
Conference Schedule :