Saudi Arabia revealed ambitious plans to build a $500-billion-worth technological city that is the “size of a country”. The megacity will be completely powered by renewable energy resources. Dubbed as NEOM, the city will extend over an area of 10,232 square miles (26,500 square kilometers). It will cover areas from three countries, KSA, Egypt, and Jordan.
KSA wishes to make a business and technological beacon out of NEOM which will be concentrating on nine axes: Biotechnology, Food, Entertainment, Media, Advanced Manufacturing, Mobility, Technological and Digital Sciences, Energy and Water, and ‘Living as NEOM’s Foundation’.
The ground-up construction of the new city will be achieved using new systems of infrastructure which will have optimum sustainability and functionality. A 100% eco-friendly transportation system will be available as well as King Salman Bridge which will connect KSA and Egypt. The project’s site is perfectly located for the collection of wind and solar energy which will completely power the city.
Moreover, the city offers its inhabitants a luxurious lifestyle with abundant top restaurants and recreational opportunities. The website of the new project claims that there are also plans for “record-breaking theme parks,” “glittering marinas,” “the world’s largest garden,” and an “endless parkland.”
To meet the goals that KSA has for the 2030 plan, NEOM will be concentrating on the development of six important perceptions:
• HUMAN BEINGS AS A TOP PRIORITY: NEOM provides its residents with comfortable living conditions set within an idyllic society that promotes inclusion and encourages personal growth and lives by world-class social norms.
• THE NEXT GENERATION OF HEALTHY LIVING AND TRANSPORT: NEOM will allow its residents to reach many locations via walking or biking and also have an unprecedented transportation infrastructure, built on future transportation technologies.
• AUTOMATED SERVICES/ E-GOVERNMENT: NEOM government services will be fully automated and most easily accessible to its residents.
• DIGITIZATION: NEOM will provide its residents “digital air”, free highest-speed internet and free online continuous education at their fingertips.
• SUSTAINABILITY: NEOM will be solely powered by renewable energy and buildings will have a net zero carbon footprint.
• INNOVATION IN CONSTRUCTION: Serving as a laboratory for innovative construction techniques and materials operating with complete flexibility to meet future requirements.
The Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund, as well as other investors, will be funding the megacity. However, the plans and designs of the project are still to be determined. The completion of the first phase of the project is expected to be in 2025.