Canadian Government Scholarships For
University: The Government of Canada – Canadian universities
Nationality: International students can apply for these Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships.
Fund: Fully Funded
Type: Postgraduate degree – Scholarships are available for pursuing Ph.D. level at Canadian universities.
Study Subject (s): Scholarships are provided to study any one of the courses offered by the Canadian universities as social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Scholarship Award: $50,000 per year -3 years (non-renewable)
Application Deadline: November 2, 2016
Applicants must have their previous degree
Test Requirement: No
English Language Requirements: Applicants from outside the home country will often need to meet specific English language/other language requirements in order to be able to study there.
Canadian citizens, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to be nominated for a Vanier CGS. To be considered for a Vanier CGS, applicants must:
- be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
- be pursuing your first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as: MD/PhD, DVM/PhD, JD/PhD) studies and research at the nominating institution; Note that only the Ph.D. portion of a combined degree is eligible for funding;
- not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2017 (see calculating months of doctoral studies below);
- have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are encouraged to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average
- must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.
The Government of Canada launched the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) program in 2008 to strengthen Canada’s ability to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. Vanier Scholars demonstrate leadership skills and a high standard of scholarly achievement in graduate studies in the social sciences and/or humanities, natural sciences and/or engineering and health.
Up to 167 scholarships are awarded annually.
A total of up to 500 scholarships are active at any time.
|July – November||Applicants seek a nominating institution, prepare and submit the application package.|
|Internal Deadline||to submit application to the nominating institution. Contact nominating institution for specific date.|
|November 2, 2016 (20:00 ET)||Deadline for institutions to submit nominations to the Vanier CGS program.|
|November 2016 – March 2017||Review and evaluation of nominations.|
|March 30, 2017||Results released.|
|May 1, 2017, September 1, 2017 or January 1, 2018||Payments begin.|
How to Apply:
The mode of applying is online.