The Chicago Athenaeum: Museum of Architecture and Design and The European Center for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies has announced the winners the winners of the 2016 American Architecture Awards.
The 22nd American Architecture Awards honor “the best new buildings designed and constructed by American architects in the U.S. and abroad and by international architects for buildings designed and built in the United States.”
“This comprehensive and even-handed overview of new American Architecture for 2016, allows you (as a viewer) to witness the enormous diversity in the American practice of architecture today, said Christian Narkiewicz-Laine, Museum President, The Chicago Athenaeum. This year’s selection by the Denver jury was more interested in discussions concerning the problems of the environment, social context, technical and constructive solutions, the responsible use of energies, restoration and adaptive- reuse, and the sensitive use of materials and ecology.”
The 75 buildings announced as winners of the 2016 American Architecture Awards are:
1. GALEWOOD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, Chicago, Illinois, 2012 by UrbanWorks, Ltd.
2. COAST AT LAKESHORE EAST, Chicago, Illinois, 2013 by bKL Architecture LLC.
3. HILL HOUSE 3, Los Altos Hills, California, 2013 by Michael Lustig & Associates, Inc.
4. MILL VALLEY COURTYARD RESIDENCE, Mill Valley, California, 2014 by Aidlin Darling Design
5. U.S. COURTHOUSE IN AUSTIN, Austin, Texas, 2012 by Mack Scogin Merrill Elam Architects, Inc.
6. BERKLEE TOWER OF MUSIC/ BERKLEE TOWER, Boston, Massachusetts, 2014 by William Rawn Associates, Architects, Inc.
7. OSF SAINT FRANCIS MEDICAL CENTER CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL OF ILLINOIS, Peoria, Illinois, 2010 by CannonDesign
8. HEALTH NEUROSCIENCE CENTER OF EXCELLENCE, Indianapolis, Indiana 2012 by CannonDesign
9. THE ZACHARY HOUSE, Ramseur, North Carolina, 2012 by Stephen Atkinson Architecture
10. PLEATED HOUSE, Door County, Wisconsin, 2015 by Johnsen Schmaling Architects
11. THE KNOXVILLE BOTANICAL GARDEN AND ARBORETUM VISITOR PAVILION, Knoxville, Tennessee 2015 by De Leon & Primmer
12. Bi(H)OME, Los Angeles, California, 2015 by Kevin Daly Architects
13. RED BARN, Connecticut, 2015 by Roger Ferris + Partners
14. RENTON PUBLIC LIBRARY, Renton, Washington, 2016 by The Miller Hull Partnership
15. MERCER ISLAND FIRE STATION #92, Mercer Island, Washington, 2015 by The Miller Hull Partnership
16. CHK | CENTRAL BOATHOUSE, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 2015 by Elliott + Associates Architects
17. ST. ANN’S WAREHOUSE, Brooklyn, New York, 2015 by Marvel Architects
18. SL11024, Los Angeles, California, 2015 by Lorcan O’Herlihy
19. TONGVA PARK AND KEN GENSER SQUARE, Santa Monica, California, 2013 by James Corner Field Operations
20. BURBANK WATER AND POWER ECOCAMPUS, Burbank, California, 2013 by AHBE Landscape Architects
21. BRUCE C. BOLLING MUNICIPAL BUILDING, Boston, Massachusetts, 2015 by Mecanoo architecten and Sasaki Associates, Inc.
22. THE ROW – MELROSE PLACE, Los Angeles, California, 2014 by Montalba Architects, Inc.
23. NATIONAL SAWDUST, Brooklyn, New York, 2015 by BUREAU V
24. STOCKING HALL REHABILITATION AND ADDITION, CORNELL UNIVERSITY, Ithaca, New York, 2015 by Mitchell | Giurgola Architects, LLP.
25. SAWYER LIBRARY, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 2014 by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
26. ZEREGA AVENUE EMS STATION, Bronx, New York, 2013 by Smith-Miller+Hawkinson Architects LLP.
27. LAWRENCE PUBLIC LIBRARY, Lawrence, Kansas, 2014 by Gould Evans
28. ACE HOTEL, Los Angeles, California, 2013 by Killefer Flammang Architects
29. WYOMING RESIDENCE, Jackson Hole, Wyoming, 2013 by Abramson Teiger Architects
30. WESTMORELAND MUSEUM OF AMERICAN ART, Greensburg, Pennsylvania, 2015 by Ennead Architects, LLC.
31. TOM BRADLEY INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL AT LAX, Los Angeles, California, 2013 by Fentress Architects
32. FALLING LOTUS BLOSSOMS: EON IT PARK, Maharashtra, India, 2014 by Form4 Architecture
33. BLACK DESERT HOUSE, Joshua Tree National Park, Twentynine Palms, California, 2013 by Oller & Pejic Architecture
34. EAST BOSTON BRANCH BOSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY, Boston, Massachusetts, 2013 by William Rawn Associates, Architects, Inc.
35. RUTH CAPLIN THEATRE UNIVERSITY OF VIRGINIA, Charlottesville, Virginia, 2014 by William Rawn Associates, Architects, Inc.
36. GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM, Helsinki, Finland, 2014 by Myefski Architects
37. MR. ROBINSON, San Diego, California, 2015 by Jonathan Segal
38. AEP FITNESS CENTER, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, 2015 by Allford Hall Monaghan Morris
39. PUBLIC MEDIA COMMONS, St. Louis, Missouri, 2015 by DLANDstudio Architecture + Landscape Architecture pllc.
40. STAR APARTMENTS, Los Angeles, California, 2014 by Michael Maltzan Architecture, Inc.
41. EMBASSY OF THE USA, Helsinki, Finland, 2014 by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners
42. UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON UNIVERSITY CENTER TRANSFORMATION, Houston, Texas, 2015 by EYP, Inc
43. TEXARKANA ART PARK, Texarkana, Arkansas, 2014 by University of Arkansas Community Design Center
44. WHITETAIL WOODS REGIONAL PARK CAMPER CABINS, Whitetail Woods Regional Park, Farmington, Minnesota, 2014 by HGA Architects and Engineers
45. VAULT HOUSE, Oxnard, California, 2013 by Johnston Marklee and Associates
46. PTERODACTYL, Culver City, California, 2015 by Eric Owen Moss Architects
47. SALFORD MEADOWS BRIDGE COMPETITION, London, United Kingdom, 2013 by Standard LLP.
48. MENIL DRAWING INSTITUTE (MDI)), Houston, Texas, 2017 by Johnston Marklee and Associates
49. THE SCHNABEL FAMILY RETREAT, Palm Springs, California, 2015 by Studio AR&D Architects
50. 7 BRYANT PARK, New York, New York, 2014 by Pei Cobb Freed & Partners
51. CONWAY URBAN WATERSHED FRAMEWORK PLAN: A RECONCILIATION LANDSCAPE, Conway, Arkansas, 2015 by University of Arkansas Community Design Center
52. BANDERSNATCH, 2013 by Steven Christensen Architecture
53. LIEPAJA THERMAL BATH, Liepaja, Latvia 2014 by Steven Christensen Architecture
54. DIXON WATER FOUNDATION JOSEY PAVILION, Decatur, Texas, 2014 by Lake | Flato Architects
55. OCEAN AVENUE SOUTH, Santa Monica, California, 2014 by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects & Planners with Koning Eizenberg
56. VARNA LIBRARY, Varna, Bulgaria , 2015 by XTEN Architecture
57. STANFORD CENTRAL ENERGY FACILITY, Palo Alto, California, 2015 by ZGF Architects LLP.
58. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA CANCER CENTER AT DIGNITY HEALTH ST. JOSEPH’S HOSPITAL AND MEDICAL CENTER, Phoenix, Arizona, 2015 ZGF Architects LLP.
59. POLE PASS RETREAT, San Juan Islands, Washington, 2013 by Olson Kundig
60. UCSD BIOMEDICAL RESEARCH FACILITY UNIT 2, La Jolla, California, 2014 by ZGF Architects LLP.
61. NASA ORBIT PAVILION, 2015 by StudioKCA
62. HEAD IN THE CLOUDS PAVILION, New York, New York, 2013 by StudioKCA
63. ARMENIAN AMERICAN MUSEUM DESIGN COMPETITION, Glendale, California, 2015 by Yazdani Studio of CannonDesign
64. SANTA MONICA PARKING STRUCTURE #6, Santa Monica, California, 2013 by Behnisch Architekten
65. AMPAS (ACADEMY OF MOTION PICTURE ARTS AND SCIENCES), Los Angeles, California, 2015 by Studio Pali Fekete architects [SPF:a]
66. THE JOHN ANSON FORD AMPHITHEATRE, Los Angeles, California, 2016 by Levin & Associates
67. OLAN G. AND AIDA T. HAFLEY HOUSE RESTORATION, Long Beach, California, 2015 by Kelly Sutherlin McLeod Architecture, Inc.
68. THE KILLINGSWORTH OFFICE BUILDING RESTORATION, Long Beach, California, 2015 by Kelly Sutherlin McLeod Architecture, Inc.
69. KOREATOWN GATEWAY, Los Angeles, California, 2016 by John Friedman Alice Kimm Architects
70. HWASEONG SPORTS COMPLEX + STADIUM, Hwaseong, Gyeonggi Province, Republic of South Korea, 2011 by DRDS
71. WILSHIRE TOWER, Los Angeles, California, 2015 by Platform for Architecture + Research
72. LOS ANGELES MUSEUM OF THE HOLOCAUST, Los Angeles, California, 2015 by Belzberg Architects
73. SANFORD CONSORTIUM FOR REGENERATIVE MEDICINE, La Jolla, California, 2012 by Fentress Architects
74. LOS ANGELES RIVER URBAN AGRICULTURE PLAN, Los Angeles, California, 2014 by Perkins+Will
75. ACADEMY MUSEUM OF MOTION PICTURES, Los Angeles, California, 2017 by Renzo Piano Building Workshop, with contribution to concept design by Studio Pali Fekete architects and Gensler as executive architects